NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

astrotortilla hangs with jpeg to pnm: writing ppm file error

Hello,

I have managed to use astrotortilla successfully with widows xp but having bought a Dell laptop recently running windows 8.1 (and now windows 10) , whenever I try to plate solve files saved from my previous computer (created using BYEOS) the program always hangs with the message "jpeg to pnm: writing ppm file".

I have completely removed cygwin (not an easy task) several times and re-installed astrotortilla v5.0, 6.0 and 7.0 several times but always get the same result.

I assume that it is a permissions problem, maybe with backend.cfg?

Would anyone have any idea what is going on and how to solve it?

Eric the Halibut

Hello again,

Well the silence is deafening on this problem, including some other groups that I have posted in, but I have found the answer to the problem.

I ran Astrotortilla in  Windows  Safe Mode and it worked fine. So I started removing services and applications and read on another forum that antivirus software doesn't always coexist well with the application. My antivirus software is Kaspersky. Merely stopping Kaspersky is not effective, what you have to do is completely uninstall it and then Astrotortilla runs perfectly. I replaced it with AVG free and that runs ok.

So if anyone else has problems with Astrotortila hanging, perhaps running in safe mode and checking antivirus software might be a good starting point.

Rgds,

Eric the Halibut

Archived