Celestron CG-4 Polar Scope

Hi Guys,

Can someone provide me some advice on polars scopes.

After using my scope and setting up a rough alignment to the pole star i decided to purchase a polar scope and motor. I recieved the polar scope in the post today and the aluminium disk around the barrel is bent and has no figures printed on it. (I believe this is meant to have the dates printed on it).

I was wondering if this is a black i.e. to be replaced by the user ?

Can any one explain why some have figures printed and the Celestron one doesnt.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge :huh:

Dave

I see your question has not received a response, Dave, 

I have read in a number of recent threads, that there seems to be a new breed of Polar scope, which has a finder screen engraved with a 24 hour division circle around the NCP, at the appropriate offset distance. You would use such as Jason Dales free "Polar Finder" program to show the exact position of Polaris at that moment in time that you are carrying out the aligning procedure. Revolving the mounts Polar axis to match what is shown, then using the Alt/Az adjusting screws to make the final alignment offset for the NCP. In this case the engraved date circle would not be required.

The date circle is used in conjunction with the Right Assention scale on the mount, where you have the Polar screen engraved with Cassiopeia, Ursa Maj and Octans. Much has been written in the past already on this procedure, see Astro baby`s "Polar Aligning" if in doubt.

If you check the Polar scope and find it is as described in my first paragraph, you could send it back ( it is damaged ) for a refund or exchange for the old traditional type, if they stock them.

A very quick simple way to align with the old type.... The Polar scope screen should have been previously adjusted by the three set screws, so it is on the central axis of the scope when revolved through 180°, Check it is screwed home in its housing. Gently slacken it back through just 360° if this is smooth without any wobble or play, it is quite simple to Polar align by matching the position of the two of the Constellations, Cassiopeia and Ursa Maj on your screen to the position as you see them in the sky, adjust Alt/Az to make the final adjustment.

Hope this resolved your problem, if I am wrong, I am sure someone will sing out :)

John,

Many thanks for replying to my question, this has been very useful.

I have now managed to align the Polar scope with the 3 grub screws (rotating telescope180 Deg.) also managed to replace the date circle with a spare one as I have the polar scope engraved with Cassiopeia .

Thanks for pointing me to Astro Baby's site, brilliant info. and easy to understand.

Much appreciated

Dave

Many thanks for your kind response Dave, we do try to help were we can.

I am somewhat surprised at your retailer sending out a Polar scope, that has the Cass/Ursa Maj engraved screen, with a blank date circle, no wonder those new to Astronomy are confused at times, sometimes not their fault.

Enjoy your Astronomy :)

Archived