NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Trying to pair the "right" equipment.

This evening the rain cleared up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA and I have been experimenting with my nexstar 4se OTA with a 32mm ep and Orion polarizing filter sitting on a Ravelli tripod. The results were decent in fair skies. I am finding myself struggling with viewing Saturn and Jupiter with high power (no go to or eq). I am sure I haven't been too patient since it has rained every day for the last 4 weeks. I was contemplating a Celestron Ultima LX 8mm to rectify...has anyone paired this ep with a slow scope? Cheers and clear skies! [emoji2]

edb17ac3c9c137bf9ac53c23713c264f.jpg

As the owner of a Celestron C90 vintage setup, I was able to capture this image of the moon at sunset in March. I seem to be more comfortable using it but would like to get on track utilizing the 4se.

42ff2396ba49126404eef639ff70405d.jpg

Both pics taken with my cell phone... I'm afraid I'm a poor soon to be parent lacking a camera thus far. [emoji4]

The 4SE is a Mak of f/13 and 1325mm focal length.

Revertng to experience of viewing Saturn the best I have seen it at was 125x, that was on a Tal so 4" diameter.

So being lazy I suggest that you go for about the same, the 8mm Ultima fits this as it would give 165x - this may be a bit too much. I think a 9mm or 10mm would be better.

As you want to see Saturn go for the lower magnifications first, they have a better chance of giving you a decent image. Do not believe the claims of 200x for the scope, it is rare that anyone gets the "maximum magnification" quoted with a decent image.

You do not really need a wide field eyepiece for planets, they are small and sit in the middle.

The only eyepiece I know of at 9mm or 10mm is the Celestron X-Cel LX at 9mm, so cannot really suggest anything.

Half bet an 11mm TV plossl would be good.

I tend to agree, as I went to the 6 and 8mm, the image deteriorated. I can say however, summer is a great time temperature-wise but absolutely abysmal for excellent viewing. I was able to reach the higher power with my Astromaster 80mm when it was -30 in February. I was unsure if this was a limitation of the OTA, the atmosphere or the quality of eyepiece. Maybe all three? Thank you

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Archived