NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

www.astrometry.net

aparker

Many of you probably already know about this site, but I just discovered it and figured I'd pass it along.

It is a hosted plate solving service - you can upload an image of the night sky and it will try to identify what part of the sky is shown and if successful provide details of the image scale, orientation, etc.  You can upload an image through your browser or if you are a programmer, use the API they provide.  I tried it out with one of my EAA images of the NGC3733 region.  I got back the below annotated image, along with the image scale etc data.

post-43095-0-05375200-1434371710.jpeg

One cool feature they provide is that you can see your exact photographic field as captured in the SDSS:

post-43095-0-63437100-1434371711.png

You can also install it on a PC. I installed it on a Windows laptop with AstroTortilla but I don't use the AT interface - just run the program through Cygwin terminal mode.

One cool feature they provide is that you can see your exact photographic field as captured in the SDSS:

Sadists :)

Archived