My First Image of Jupiter

Here is my first successful(ish) capture of Jupiter. It was a very clear night with lots of stars out, despite the light pollution. Through the eyepiece, I think I saw Jupiter's bands of clouds for the first time. Usually it is a white orb, but I think I saw some clouds this night. The picture I got doesn't look great because DeepSkyStacker didn't want to align the Jupiter frames because it didn't recognize Jupiter as a "star." I'm guessing it is too big. So only 1 light frame was used. Here it is after basic processing:

Ltsf4tj.jpg

And after messing with the brightness, I got some of the moons out of it!

oMLxZQF.jpg

I  could use help on correctly stacking frames so I don't need to rely on what DeepSkyStacker can do. Or does it need to be a bit more focused?

Deep Sky Stacker is for deep sky imaging, not planetary imaging.  You need to use planetary image stacking software such as Autostakkert!2 or RegiStax for this kind of work.

Cheers,

Chris

Out of interest what camera are you using?

While capturing you need to ensure your images are not over exposed and that they are in focus.

Cheers,

Chris

I'm using a Nikon D50 with a 3x barlow lens looking into the telescope. This is about as focused as it gets using the telescope's focus knob.

Archived