Faulty red dot finder?

Hello. I'm a complete newbie. Got a celestron nexstar evolution 6 for my birthday and having trouble with aligning my red dot finder. I get the object centered in my telescope but when trying to align the red dot, the azimuth knob won't go far enough left . The altitude knobs doesn't go straight up and down either - it tends to go up and right and down and left but whatever I do, I just can't get it to align. Is the finder faulty or am I dojng something wrong. I've tried removing it and readjusting the screws but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would guess that the RDF and the scope are not 100% compatible. Usually they fit about right but occasionally they do not - sounds like yours does not.

Often a person has to pad out one end or the other in order that the adjustment on the RDF is sufficent to perform what is the fine adjustment.

Not sure what they use but thin shim's of metal seem the best description, source and size unknown.

You may also find there are alternative basis that you can get.

Problem is the RDF will not have been built for the scope, it may be a copy of the WO RDF, they seemed to produce a good one originally and so many are clones or rebranded ones of theirs.

I also need to learn to read: I keep looking at the bit saying:

"Got a celestron nexstar evolution 6 for my birthday and having trouble with aligning my red dot finder."

and reading it as:

"I got a celestron nexstar evolution for my 6th birthday...."

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

By the way - Hello. :grin: :grin:

Did think that a celestron nexstar evolution was a bit OTT for a 6 year old. :D :D :D

Do you get to the Regents Park Group BSIA ?

Not sure about the Up/Down not going straight, would assume it is supposed to but you never know with thee things.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I recently go the Nexstar evolution 8. I had the same problem with not being able to align the red dot. The dials simply wouldn't bring the dot to where I'd aligned an object. I did manage to resolve this though by loosening the screws on the finder scope mount and moving the mount slightly. After a couple of goes, I managed to get the red dot aligned.

Good luck, hope it works for you too!

Archived