NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Choosing a filter for imaging emission nebulae

Hey everyone.  :grin:

As you might have deduced from the title, I am looking for some input regarding choice of filter for imaging emission nebulae.

I am going to do a full spectrum modification on my Canon EOS 1100D, which opens for the possibility of using a H-alpha narrowband filter. This option is very appealing to me, especially since my backyard (where I do most of my imaging) suffers from quite a bit of light pollution. I could then get an OIII filter later and combine with the H-alpha data.

But then I started looking at Astronomik's UHC filter, which blocks all wavelengths except one narrow-ish band including the H-beta and OIII lines, and one including the H-alpha and SII lines. This sounds like a much more time-effective solution, since all color channels would collect good light at once, as opposed to narrowband H-alpha where only the red channel gets signal and the others only get noise. This would also be a cheaper solution than multiple narrowband filters. I guess the drawback is that the transmitting bands are wider, so more of the light pollution gets through.

One third option would be a LPR filter, like the Astronomik CLS or Baader Neodymium. Since I am primarily interested in imaging emission nebulae from home (and leave the galaxies for darker skies), I am thinking the wider transmitting bands might be a disadvantage compared the narrower bands of the UHC.

To give you an idea of the amount of LP I have, here's an unprocessed exposure of M42 taken from my backyard. 90 seconds, ISO 400.

post-43721-0-49808400-1428943860_thumb.j

Any ideas on what might be the best option for me? I am leaning towards the UHC, but how good would it be for blocking the LP compared to a 12 nm narrowband? Any other aspects I haven't thought about?

Clear skies!

Archived