NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Basic DSLR imaging with Dob?

Hi all,

I'm curious about the potential for imaging with my Dob. Currently I don't want to drop the requisite amount of cash for a 'proper' imaging set up but I'm consider picking up a decent DSLR (600D or so) given that we don't have a proper camera of any kind at all right now. Clearly if we do so I have try it out with the scope!

Questions:

- Am I right in thinking I could use a DSLR plus a T-ring etc to mount the DSLR to the Dob and take some decentish photos of the planets, moon etc?

- What is the correct setup here, i.e. am I using my eyepieces with the camera in place of my eye to take photos or is there some other set up?

- List of additional gear I might need would be appreciated, have seen people suggesting extender tubes, barlows etc?

Cheers

Am I right in thinking I could use a DSLR plus a T-ring etc to mount the DSLR to the Dob and take some decentish photos of the planets, moon etc?

You would need a T-ring to make the connection.

Think that planets may be out of it, or plain difficult, Moon should be OK, DSO's are not realistic.

What is the correct setup here, i.e. am I using my eyepieces with the camera in place of my eye to take photos or is there some other set up?

Arrangement is T-ring on DSLR, Put T-ring in the focuser, adjust focuser to get image.

May not be possible as usually there is insufficent inward travel.

List of additional gear I might need would be appreciated, have seen people suggesting extender tubes, barlows etc?

Might need a barlow to increasde the image size and "push" the image out so that it reaches the DSLR sensor.

The Moon should be easy, it is so bright that a "normal" setting of say 1/100sec, ISO 200 should do.

You cannot set the aperture as that is the scope.

Planets are questionable.

Forget Mars, if it is even around.

Jupiter - you MIGHT be able to point scope at Jupiter, have Jupiter off to one side and take say a 6 second video, about 180 frames. I assume 30fps?. You then process and stack the best 50-80 frames this short video in whatever processing package. The assumption being that the package will put each Jupiter on top of one another, not one frame on top of one another. Equally the software may not be able to put the images over each other.

Saturn similar, but more difficult.

Both will I guess need a barlow as both will be small and they can be increased.

That is about the best I can suggest.

If any, other then the moon, will actually produce anything is questionable.

But the moon should be easy.

Probably need a remote/cable release.

Thanks ronin, very comprehensive answer.

Follow up question, I'm not familiar with the term 'inward travel' - is this related to the point about barlows in the sense that the focal point is too far 'inside' the telescope to be seen by the DSLR?

Archived