NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help Syncing EQMOD and Stellariumscope

I have a new laptop, a USB EQDIR cable and clear skies so it's the perfect opportunity to try getting GOTO to work with my HEQ5 Syntrek.

I've already got my laptop talking to my mount via the EQDIR cable. I've polar aligned my mount. I've then set my mount to the Home position, opened up Stellariumscope and pressed "park" the "unpark" (not sure if I need to do this) in EQMOD. I've then selected a Star to the East in Stellarium and hit "Alt+1" and the mount slewed to a position that must have been about 10 degrees off the intended star. Ok, I thought, I'll correct that and then sync EQMOD so I have my first Alignment point. I align the chosen star in my new illuminated reticle eyepiece (using a very disobedient xbox controller!) and press "Ctrl+3" but nothing happens. Stellarium still shows my scope as pointing in the wrong direction and EQMOD doesn't show any Alignment points . What am I doing wrong?

I'll have to admit defeat tonight as I've wasted too much precious imaging time already trying to get this working. After my first few failed attempts I shut down Stellarium and started again from scratch. I managed to get EQMOD synced to one star (Pollux) but then when I slewed to the next alignment star (Aldeberan) it again put me about 10 degrees off position. I then noticed Stellarium had put the crosshairs indicating the position of the scope 10 degrees off the star I had told it to slew to so Stellarium new where the scope was but hadn't slewed it to the Star I had asked it to. Very confused.

Is there a tutorial anywhere that will guide me through using EQMOD, Stellariumscope and Stellarium to get GOTO functionality with my HEQ5 Syntrek? I've watched this http://youtu.be/f1rVx8_17dc?list=PLBB117AE85EB6BF04 and the preceeding vids in the playlist but it uses Cart du Ciel which I haven't used before and I'd much rather get Stellarium working if possible.

Archived