NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using an equatorial mount

Hello,

so I have recently purchased a new telescope with an equatorial mount and I was hoping someone could help me in how to use it! I have managed to view the moon but I was wondering how can I view smaller objects say Saturn more accurately and whether you can tell me what the dials etc mean?

Many Thanks

Welcome to SGL, TyRichards :grin:

Out if interest, let us know what telescope and mount you have, for there may be a member here on SGL who can give a helping hand  :grin: For the time being, this site might be of interest and should be able to answer quite a few questions on setting up and using an EQ mount.

The best bet for seeing what is up in the night sky on any particular evening is to download Stellarium. You'll find that Saturn isn't rising until the early hours of the morning and it would probably be better to hang on for a while until it is in a better position and hour to observe. However, Jupiter is putting on a great show at the moment and if you can beat the cold and the relatively late evenings, it is certainly worth checking out this month.

Archived