NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie choice - Celestron NexStar 130SLT

Hi there! I've been interested in photography for years and have recently got intro astronomy (thanks largely to the televised antics of Messrs O'Brein and Cox).

I would like a scope with a GoTo (or similar) facility as I am pressed for time with a busy job and young family, and I figure I can learn "manual" spotting over time. Given my interest in photography I would also like a camera mount. All that said though I don't want to spend loads since I am a beginner and I don't want to overly commit to something I may not end up using.

So anyway, I was looking at the Celestron NexStar 130SLT computerized telescope as it seems to tick all the boxes. Two questions though:

1. Is this actually a good idea for a beginner?

2. Does this have a camera mount / the ability to add a mount? In all the things I've read I can't see either way...

I was looking at the Skywatcher Explorer 150 but the lack of a GoTo is a showstopper for me.

Thanks for your help in advance folks!

We have the 130SLT and camera mount can be added, it does not come with that.

Depending on your camera and lenses you may just want to put you camera on a motorised equatorial mount like the Skywather Star Adventurer.

The 130SLT is a "650mm f/5 lens". A 500mm f/6.3 reflex lens on my MFT camera becomes "1000mm field of view" (at f/6.3). OTOH the 130SLT becomes a "1300mm FoV" lens on my camera but then the 800mm reflex beomes "1600mm FoV".  And then there's a 2X telconvertor (that adds 2 stops).

i.e. you don't need the telescope and may be better of without one but if you have a DLSR and want an extra long lens you may have spend a lot of money, the equivalent Nikkor to my Panasonic 100-300 is a mere £3,500! ouch

Archived