NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help with Celestron C90 photography equipment

I picked up an older all black C90 at a pawn store (sn 864464).  I am trying to find out what equipment I need to attach a DSLR camera.  I don't have the camera yet.  I'm thinking sony though.  It came with some accessories that I'm not sure what they are.  For example a "camera adapter" with a male by female thread ends that accepts a 1.25" eyepiece w/set screw.  It also came with an orion visual back that threads on, a 90 degree mirror and misc eyepieces.

I am also setting up a Celestron 130SLT for the first time but not first time with cameras and T2 lenses.

I'm guessing you have the Celestron T2 "93625" adaptor there, like I have in the kit. It drops into the focuser just like an eyepiece but will accept an eyepiece inside it. It can be used with a camera without an eyepiece with the telescope (tube) as a prime lens.

I use micro four thirds cameras. I have a couple of different T2 to MFT (M43 or M4/3) camera adaptors (for Samyang reflex lenses as well as my wife's telescope). But the problem with mirrorless cameras is the sensor i.e. focal plane, is closer to the mount than a DSLR with its mirror box and a 1.5 or 2cm spacer tube is needed. T2 to camera mount adaptors are available for every make that I can think of: T2 threads are also used on many cine lenses. T2 is a M42 thread but different pitch to the M42 "Praktica" (Pentacon) lens mount.

I haven't got it sorted out yet, it's a bit of a can of worms.

The camera adapter will accept an eyepiece but does not have the 1.25" od to fit into the focuser. Can of worms! Yes that is what i feel. Correct me if I'm wrong but the T adapter option uses the camera body and no camera lenses. My concern is the focus length of the complete adaption assembly.

Archived