NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

polar aligning my EQ5 mount in the southern hemisphere

Is there an easy way to do this?

I was reading about it a lot and a site says to extend the distance between the 2 stars in the southern cross 4.5X and theres the SCP (south celestial pole), but that's hard to do if you're looking through the polar scope and even harder to do when theres no star there to help you.

In perth apparently I set my latitude scale to 31. I was thinking if I just did that and pointed my mount south, wouldn't the polar scope be pointing somewhere near the SCP?

If your in Perth 31.x  then I think it's about 10 degrees East and go from there, don't quote me on that though. Laser guider pointers can be helpful too if you know your stars. Still reading up on alignment myself.

If you wanted to get precise check out http://www.ga.gov.au/oracle/geomag/agrfform.jsp

If you don't know exact coordinates use the place name search at the top, second paragraph to get exact coordinates.

Archived