NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CPC 800 Firmware versions

Hi All, I am just starting out with a second hand CPC800 (using the cloudy weather to find out how it all works!). Can anyone tell me what the latest firmware versions are for the handset and motor controls.

It seems to be doing everything is should be as far as alignment is concerned (guessing where the stars are so far) and not sure whether to upgrade the version or leave well enough alone!

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, it's been a long time since I upgraded mine so am patchy on the process....if it's all working I would leave it alone tho.

It depends on your handset type, establish what that is then do a Google search on that type and you should find it. I think you first have to install a firmware update program on your pc. From memory once you've done all this it was a fairly easy process.

Find out what version of software is on the handset first.

Then have a read of this site: http://www.nexstarsite.com/Firmware/CPCFirmware.htm

It seems to explain in fairly simple terms what changes occurred at which version.

From what I can read in general you may need to perform a Motor Controller update as well. I assume that some new features on the handset had corresponding changes at the motor controller board software.

If an update is really required then make sure that you have everything possible to hand or installed on the PC. Stopping half way through for something is never a good idea when performing software updates.

As you say used I assume that it is not the Newatar+ handset so software stops at Version 4.21

Thanks for both your suggestions - I have version 4.03 so after looking at the Nexstar site its as old as you can get!

The link was very helpful for this and other CPC stuff too so thanks again for that, will have a look around in detail there.

Will go and sort out the software and cables to do an upgrade, I may be back!

There is mention of 'supporting SYNC' for one of the upgrades - can you clarify what this is - PC program or on-board software?

Mark

Not sure on a Celestron on a Meade it means that you ask the scope to goto say Arcturus, the scope goes there and eventually squeeks, indicatiing that it has reached the RA/Dec expected.

You can then just leave it or if it is a bit out you move the scope to get Arcturus dead centre.

The scope at this time knows it has moved and it in effect has fractionally different "new" RA/Dec for it's position other then Arcturus.

You can then Sync the scope to Arcturus and it in effect replaces it's "new" position with that of the centered Arcturus.

You in effect sync the scope position with that of the object you have gone to and centered. Usually a star as they are points, something like M45 (Pleiades) is not simple to define the exact middle.

Usually done at the start or well into a session as things drift off a bit.

That is the Meade Sync, would make sense that Celestron is similar, but it may be something else.

Also used with cameras, goto object, view object, replace eyepiece with camera. Good chance that eyepiece and camera are not perfectly central to each other, so centre object on the camera, Synce scope to this "camera central" position of the object.

The other possibility is when driving scope from a laptop, aim scope at object, centre object, to control from laptop the software on the laptop and scope need to be sync'd. So you would select the same object on the laptop as the scope is centered on and Sync the pair. That is mostly a PC function but there will be some handshake.

Archived