SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron Starsense help

I have a Celestron CG5 mount with a Skywatcher Explorer 8" (200mm) Tube sourced from FLO a while ago, this area being a cloud washout last year a couple of good nights.

The system  set-up is done at different locations around the garden (back/front) when taken outside.

Does anybody know if the Starsense will mount OK on the Skywatcher.

Thanks

Dave

you wont have any problem with the scope - any problems will be with the mount - i got the same setup (and an 80ED) and tried the starsense over the weekend but it just wasnt having it on the CG-5GT would lock up on the second or third acquire image on auto setup and not find any stars regardless of where it was pointing on manual. Not sure if its just a faulty starsense (waiting to hear back from FLO) or if it is a problem with it working with the CG5 (seems to be a bit hit and miss on it working)

CG-5's seem notorious for being problematic with Starsense. They require a splitter cable (around £25) and most require a specific modified splitter which doesn't seem to be generally available. I had mine shipped from Celestron in the states.

well i managed to get 15 minutes to test this last night before it clouded up and it looks like the cable ha fixed the issue i had - it completed the auto setup first time finding over 100 stars at each location it checked. however never got to test its accuracy as it clouded over before i got to run through the calibration so hoping I get a clear evening this week to test it properly but its looking much better at the moment :)

That sounds promising :)

If yours is anything like mine, it'll work flawlessly from now on.  It's so convenient when there's little observing time available for the 'scope to align itself (even during twilight) whilst I'm preparing for a session.

Archived