Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 130SLT eyepiece and barlow suggestions

Hi friends, I am a new member here from Sydney, Australia and see you'll have a very vibrant forum out here. 
I bought a Celestron 130SLT telescope  a few years ago but hardly used it since I had a baby come along around that time. I now finally have some time to take it out and begin learning some astronomy. An added  bonus is that  my 4 year old is particularly interested in the solar system and wants me to show him the moon and planets through the telescope.
The 130SLT came with a 9mm and 25 mm eyepiece and when I had briefly used it years ago at my first rookie attempts,I wasn't really happy with the view. The moon was ok but Saturn  was too small, though a pleasure to see eitherways. I never tried any DSO's.
So now that I am back to it and my son too is interested and would like to view the planets and we can possibly explore some Deep space objects along the way I would like to make that experience pleasurable. I have after some brief reasearch decided to add on some Nagler eyepieces and possibly one of their 2X BArlows so that I can also assemble nice eyepieces that can last a long time and give us many years of viewing pleasure.  Also most of the viewing will be done in areas of moderate to high light pollution.
I would love your advice  on whats the best combination of Naglers  to begin with that will afford both my son and me the best close up views using this scope. Your first experiences with viewing the celestial vastness with your kids too very much appreciated,
Thanks

Here's the tech  specs for the scope from the Celestron website

Optical Design Newtonian Reflector Aperture (mm) 130 mm (5.12 in) Focal Length 650 mm (26 in) Focal Ratio 5 Focal Length of Eyepiece 1 (mm) 25 mm (0.98 in) Magnification of Eyepiece 1 26 x Focal Length of Eyepiece 2 (mm) 9 mm (0.35 in) Magnification of Eyepiece 2 72 x Finderscope StarPointer Mount Type Motorized Altazimuth Accessory Tray No Tool, Quick release Tripod Steel Highest Useful Magnification 307 x Lowest Useful Magnification 19 x Limiting Stellar Magnitude 13.1 Resolution (Rayleigh) 1.07 arc seconds Resolution (Dawes) 0.89 arc seconds Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye) 345 x Apparent Field of View 1.7 ° Linear Field of View (@1000 yds) 91 ft (28 m) Secondary Mirror Obstruction 1.7 in (43 mm) Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter 33% Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area 11% Optical Coatings Aluminum Slew Speeds Nine slew speeds Tracking Rates Sidereal, Solar and Lunar Tracking Modes Alt-Az, EQ North and EQ South Alignment Procedures SkyAlign, Auto 2-Star Align, 1-Star Align, 2-Star Align, Solar System Align Computer Hand Control Fully Computerized / Flash Upgradeable GPS Optional SkySync GPS Accessory (93969)  

Archived