NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which tracking mounts are good for 5" reflectors

Hi Friends. I was planning to purchase a good tracking (equatorial) mount for my 5", 1000mm FL, newtonian reflector. Looking for expert advice on the same. Wanted to use this telescope for imaging purpose. I also have a 10", 1200mm FL, skywatcher dobson which I use for visual purpose.

The "standard" would be something like the EQ5 or better the HEQ5, for tracking you would have to get the dual motor kit as well or have one supplied with them already installed.

A lot will depend if you really stop at 5". The addition of a DSLR adds to the weight and anything else does as well.

Are you thinking of tracking or goto ??

If goto then will the idea of a guide scope and camera come into it?

Hence the reason that an EQ5 might do now, but could be too "lightweight" in the future.

No idea how easy either are to get hold of in India.

Alternatives are the iOptron mounts, seem to cost more however but they are good it would seem.

I guess you would be looking at the "25" model - 25lbs being the load it will carry.

One "concern" I have at present is that Skywatcher seem to have their range as AZ-EQ8, AZ-EQ6 and soon the AZ-EQ5, I am wondering if the intention is to cease the present EQ6, EQ5 mounts at some time. It is simply inefficent to produce 2 mounts that perform the same function, cost of production makes it none sensible to produce 2 (in effect) similar mounts.

Having mentioned the AZ-EQ5 mount, if you are considering a purchase in say 6 months then it may be worth waitng for the AZ-EQ5 to be available.

The "standard" would be something like the EQ5 or better the HEQ5, for tracking you would have to get the dual motor kit as well or have one supplied with them already installed.

A lot will depend if you really stop at 5". The addition of a DSLR adds to the weight and anything else does as well.

Are you thinking of tracking or goto ??

If goto then will the idea of a guide scope and camera come into it?

Hence the reason that an EQ5 might do now, but could be too "lightweight" in the future.

No idea how easy either are to get hold of in India.

Alternatives are the iOptron mounts, seem to cost more however but they are good it would seem.

I guess you would be looking at the "25" model - 25lbs being the load it will carry.

One "concern" I have at present is that Skywatcher seem to have their range as AZ-EQ8, AZ-EQ6 and soon the AZ-EQ5, I am wondering if the intention is to cease the present EQ6, EQ5 mounts at some time. It is simply inefficent to produce 2 mounts that perform the same function, cost of production makes it none sensible to produce 2 (in effect) similar mounts.

Having mentioned the AZ-EQ5 mount, if you are considering a purchase in say 6 months then it may be worth waitng for the AZ-EQ5 to be available.

Thanks Ronin. Currently I am looking only for a tracking mount without goto. I have spoken with the skywatcher representative in India. they too recommended EQ5 for a 5" reflector. GOto can be installed later also (budget constraints). I have spent years in visual observation and now wanted to step in as amateur astrophotography. Rather than going in for specialized equipment right away, I wanted to mount my current 5" on a tracking mount to facilitate imaging. Later I can graduate to more high end equipment. What is your view? Is this the right approach? In case, what I have heard is that for astrophotography, a 5" will serve my purpose for...at least for the time being. I also needed your views on the 5" scope that I am using. It has a FL of 1000mm and thus its an F8. People, tell me that F8 is totally unsuitable for astrophotography. My second scope is a skywatcher 10" f4.8 Donsonian. If I use this for imaging, then my investment in the tracking mount may go up. Hence I wanted to stick to 5" for imaging. What is your view?

If you used the 10" then you really need to look at something like the EQ6 - or bigger still. Reason is that the scope is big both in weight and in area, You need the EQ6 for the weight and to minimise and breeze that will cause movement of the scope and so lost exposures.

At f/8 and 1000mm FL you have the dual problems of a "large" image so dimmer, and any movement of the scope will cause the image to move on the sensor more. I suspect that the 1000mm focal length will be the main problem, any wind and the image moves, the image intensity just means you need to get more images.

Catch you have is the standard one - buy something for now (EQ5) and then buy again later, or buy big now (EQ6 or bigger).

So unless you go for a big mount, EQ6 or AZ-EQ8, now you will have to use the 5", makes the decision easy in a way = no real option, 5" and EQ5.

Archived