CMOS quickcam for PHD finder guider?

szymon

I have a couple of old CMOS quickcams lying around; a communicate and an STX. Has anyone tried using one of these as a guide cam for PHD? I don't want to image with it, just use as a guide camera on the finder scope...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a while I used a Quickcam Messenger as a guider with an St102. It worked very well as long as a bright star was within its pretty narrow FOV, otherwise it really struggled. Maybe with a finder-guider you may not have this issue. It was fully compatible with PHD and I had absolutely no communication issues between the two.

For a while I used a Quickcam Messenger as a guider with an St102. It worked very well as long as a bright star was within its pretty narrow FOV, otherwise it really struggled. Maybe with a finder-guider you may not have this issue. It was fully compatible with PHD and I had absolutely no communication issues between the two.

That's awesome, many thanks!  Did you modify it at all other than to physically connect it to the scope?

No it was not modified at all, just connected with an adaptor to the scope. It did need an extension tube in order to achieve focus with the scope, but with a finder-guider you may not have this issue.

Indeed, I played with it late last night, took off the lens and it achieves focus by simply offering it up to the finder with its lens removed. Now I just need to think of a sensible way of mounting it (if all else fails I'll just superglue it).

No stars last night so I couldn't really see anything in the sky except clouds! I wonder whether you used the default PHD settings? And also what mode did you use the camera in, 640x480 YUV? One of the RGBs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used it as a Windows WDM Style Webcam with 640x480 RGB24 resolution. Not sure about YUV, but it may work better! To begin with I used the default PHD settings, but gradually changed settings to improve guiding. PHD is one of those softwares that you have to play around with! 

Archived