Sunday Night 17/18 Aug best night for viewing in ages

Nightshift63

Managed to get out and do some observing tonight, the sky was really clear here in North Hampshire, got a great view of the Ring Nebular (M57) and also finally managed to find (M56) Star Cluster could not make out individual stars in the cluster but could certainly tell it was a cluster. Overall was a great night. Also did some Binocular observing as well.

Telescope used Meade LXD75 10" Schmidt Newtonian, which is in need of some TLC at the moment as the polar scope wobbles around inside the mount so could not do a polar alignment and one of my adjustment screws on my viewfinder has snapped but the optics and motors are in good condition.

Nightshift63

Last night was indeed fabulous, the best conditions for ages and nice temperatures. I too started with M57 which I use a 'tester' and it was lovely at 100x. My highlights were C13 (Owl/Dragonfly cluster) and C14 (Double Cluster), both looked even more remarkable than previously, there was so much clarity. C13 in particular was like looking at a DragonFly in the night sky, I was in awe. Later I found Jacques which was a nice way to end my session.

Archived