NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CGEM dec cogging software upgrade

Tony Rodda

Following FLO's recommendation to load the latest motor software upgrade from Celestron to cure a declination cogging issue I solved the problem - and created it again, unwittingly.

Having cured the problem I began guiding using PHD as normal.  Forgot to stop guiding at the end of a photometry run (dopey) and slewed to the next target (using SkyCharts) and hey presto the mount wouldn't guide again.  I got exactly the same symptoms. Big saw-tooth dec traces in PHD graphs just as before.

I re-loaded the motor software and solved the issue (again).  I power cycled several times and re-aligned/guided to ensure everything was fine.

So, in my case, the issue seems to have been caused by corruption of the motor software by an idiot. 

Not sure if anyone else has suffered the same problem but I thought I'd put this out.

I've not got the wherewithal to solve a software conflict between Celestron-PHS-SDkycharts so I've just put a post-it on the top of my monitor...

Regards

Tony

Archived