Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces what would happen if i used them with a shortye barlow (GSO 2,5x barlow)

LB-10-LB

They would barlow OK. The eye relief extends outwards a bit when a barlow is used. The exit pupil will depend on the focal length of the X-Cel LS eyepiece that is being barlowed and the scope it's being used in.

The limits on useful magnification remain when using a barlow of course - barlowing the X-Cel LS 2.3mm with a 2.5x barlow is going to give the equivalent of a .92mm eyepiece - not useful on any scope that I can think of !

They would barlow OK. The eye relief extends outwards a bit when a barlow is used. The exit pupil will depend on the focal length of the X-Cel LS eyepiece that is being barlowed and the scope it's being used in.

The limits on useful magnification remain when using a barlow of course - barlowing the X-Cel LS 2.3mm with a 2.5x barlow is going to give the equivalent of a .92mm eyepiece - not useful on any scope that I can think of !

Thank you for your reply :)

Hi better late than never.   I would not worry too much since the eye relief is not overly long on those eyepieces to start with AFAIK. The shorty barlow will affect the eye relief more than a longer one though. 

Eyepieces with very long eye relief around 20mm such as the ones I use, if you don't wear glasses and are already using them with the twist cup on the outer most setting you may run out of adjustment range when barlowed. I have to back away from the eyepiece a bit  to avoid blackouts when I use my 2x  barlow with my pentax 10.5 XL.  I can't quite touch the rubber eyecup letting a bit light in from the side, which may be annoying in some situations if not observing from a dark spot. It may perhaps feel a bit uncomfortable for some not being able to hug the eyepiece.  I admit  It is a bit of an odd sensation when I compare the barlow/pentax combo to my 5mm orthoscopic eyepiece straight after that offer similar mag,  where it is all about hugging the eyepiece and very short eye relief :smiley:  

In any case, the increase in eye relief is more drastic with long focal length eyepieces, so it is there you may find it to be most bothersome ( if at all).

I imagine if it was a 20mm focal length or greater eyepiece with 20mm eye relief it may become a bit too much for me, and my barlow is a fairly standard medium length one as well. The Delos 14mm I own has an extra fold up rubber cup, as well as a huge adjustment range on the eyecup so even when barlowed there is enough adjustability there. 

Your mileage in comfort may vary depending on your combo  :smiley:

Archived