NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Linux imaging software stack

Hi! I'm new to the AP community, and AP in general. I made my first purchase for gear after a LOT of research and suggestions. I'm definitely interested in AP but also just stargazing in general.

I settled on a CG-5 computerized GEM, Vixen R130Sf (650fl 130ap newtonian reflector), Canon EOS Rebel T3, the T-Ring + T-Adapter bits, various eyepieces (3.6mm 6mm 15mm 20mm Plossl/Kelner) and an eyepiece extender, 2x 3x 5x barlows (2x also a t-adapter), some planetary, lunar, along with light pollution broadband and a narrowband filter, a polar alignment scope, a laser collimator, and an HD 4110 webcam I plan to mod. I got a bonus from work (paid out for all 60 hours of vacation) so I was pretty generous with the purchases. Maybe got a little carried away, considering I've never done any AP yet, but, whatever, it's not a cheap hobby. I've been told I'm missing an autoguider, but I was thinking of using PHD. I'll probably buy Backyard EOS.

So, finally the question of the topic title (though I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments about the gear I purchased)... I'm going to be using an Ubuntu laptop for most of my work, and stellarium and whatnot.

Does anyone out there have suggestions for a software stack for handling this in Ubuntu? Is it a must to use wine and use Backyard EOS and PHD? Do I have any feasible options for autoguiding software? Do you guys rely on stellarium for tracking, and can you run PHD and Backyard EOS with it in tandem? Does PHD even work with DSLR capturing?

It sounds like registax or avistack will work with WINE, and I'm honestly not too worried about post-processing because I can always take that home to my dual-boot desktop if I have to use windows products. In the field though, I'd prefer to just be able to use my Ubuntu laptop.

Thanks for any suggestions! Extremely excited to get out there and capture some jupiter and DSOs!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived