NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Don't know what to do

Please check this out and if possible give me your feedback ,I've found a storming Dubai where I can ask someone to buy it and ship it to me .. Tell me which one would be best for me or if they are of any good, Michael I've tried to pick one similar to the one you've showed me but this one is possible to get as the UK website won't ship to Egypt.

1- http://dubaitelescope.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=146_156&products_id=40

2- http://dubaitelescope.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=175

Thank you again,

Rami

The Orion only has a red-dot laser (and not a very good one, from what I've read). The Skywatcher has a proper 9x50 finderscope.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so to avoid that coma problem should I go for the 150mm / 1200mm dos then instead of the 200mm / 1200mm ? Or will I miss on a lot and regret not going for the bigger aperture?

No, coma won't really be a big issue in the 200/1200 f/6. It only becomes a problem once you drop below f5 and get to the 252/1200.

Perhaps so, but many people get a 10'' f/4.7 Newtonian for DSOs and to find DSOs it helps to have a wide-angle eyepiece around 24mm or 28mm (or whatever). What a shame then when those same wide-angle eyepieces only have around 50% clarity within the field of view because of the coma in the f/4.7. Sort of contradicts the reasons for having both the wide-angle eyepiece and the telescope itself.

Most DSOs would fit easily in  15mm to 25mm 50 degree plossls. Wide FOV is not really needed most of the time, but anyway, I appreciate you are not happy with the 10 inch and wide FOVs, but many are. Since the OP is thinking about he 8 inch anyway it is not all not important at this stage I think ?

edit: or if you reconsidering ( missed a few posts ) than it is worth thinking about what you prefer. More aperture with a shorter ratio, versus extra coma ? Personally I'd have the aperture of the 10 inch if you want to spend the extra any day starting out, but yes, there is the implication of costs on eyepieces too and extras to correct coma if you want to go that far, that is just my personal view however :smiley:

There is no denying that the 8 inch Dob is the perfect starter scope Dob in many ways that can last for years of good observing, unless you get aperture fever early in you career :D

No, coma won't really be a big issue in the 200/1200 f/6. It only becomes a problem once you drop below f5 and get to the 252/1200.

Thank you so much for your help,, I will go ahead then with the skywatcher 200/1200 ,, please advise what eye piece to use and any useful lenses to get with it. Thank you

The Orion only has a red-dot laser (and not a very good one, from what I've read). The Skywatcher has a proper 9x50 finderscope.

Ok thank you then I rule out the orion

No, don't do that, lol. I was just saying. For me the finderscope is important, but for other people they prefer to use something like a Telrad or a Rigel laser finder (similar to the Orion one but a bit better). There are advantages to both telescopes. The Orion eyepiece you get with it is supposed to be good. Do you really want a collapsible telescope? It will probably need collimating more often than a solid tube one. Wait for some more opinions :)

Looking at those two links again, Rami, and the Orion seems expensive compared with the Skywatcher. The Skywatcher is $500. The Orion is $520. The Skywatcher is normally quite a bit more expensive than the Orion as solid tube telescopes are usually cheaper than collapsible ones.

The extras can be bought later, most (as I do)  use both a finder scope and a red dot to finder  or rigel quikfinder. It does not have to be one or the other, both can be fitted onto the tube but from the factory these scope will come with one or the other :smiley:     I would only consider the collapsible scope types if you intend to travel with it and this will depend on the size of your car and how much room you can afford. If that is not a concern buying the solid tube is a cheaper option.

We'll, in this case it wouldn't matter really I would just go for the better one. And Wolfpaw, would you say that this is roughly the best thing I can get with that money? Because if there is a lighter scope with a similar quality I would go for it as I'm gonna ask friends to get it for me from Dubai and it's quite heavy , almost 30kg! However if this is the best quality that I can get then I will do ask them that favor.

But all the other reflectors I saw had much lower focal length around 700mm and would not deliver the quality I can get out of the disb. Do you agree?

The extras can be bought later, most (as I do)  use both a finder scope and a red dot to finder  or rigel quikfinder. It does not have to be one or the other, both can be fitted onto the tube but from the factory these scope will come with one or the other :smiley:     I would only consider the collapsible scope types if you intend to travel with it and this will depend on the size of your car and how much room you can afford. If that is not a concern buying the solid tube is a cheaper option.

Not in this instance. The collapsible Skywatcher is $20 cheaper than the solid tube Orion and it comes with a 9x50 finderscope and two eyepieces.

Thank you for the tip, yes I intend to travel a lot with it and I own a small car !

We'll, in this case it wouldn't matter really I would just go for the better one. And Wolfpaw, would you say that this is roughly the best thing I can get with that money? Because if there is a lighter scope with a similar quality I would go for it as I'm gonna ask friends to get it for me from Dubai and it's quite heavy , almost 30kg! However if this is the best quality that I can get then I will do ask them that favor.

But all the other reflectors I saw had much lower focal length around 700mm and would not deliver the quality I can get out of the disb. Do you agree?

The problem with the lower focal length is that the telescope requires better and better eyepieces, better and better collimation and shows more and more aberration the lower you go. Unfortunately any big reflector is going to be heavy though. The primary mirrors of both the Orion and Skywatcher are supposed to be made by the same company so theoretically there should be little difference between them and the quality should be the same. I've never used a collapsible Skywatcher though so I've no idea what they're like. Hopefully someone will post on the thread who has used one!

The problem with the lower focal length is that the telescope requires better and better eyepieces, better and better collimation and shows more and more aberration the lower you go. Unfortunately any big reflector is going to be heavy though. The primary mirrors of both the Orion and Skywatcher are supposed to be made by the same company so theoretically there should be little difference between them and the quality should be the same. I've never used a collapsible Skywatcher though so I've no idea what they're like. Hopefully someone will post on the thread who has used one!

Thank you, you've answered my question , I will do ask them that favor

Not in this instance. The collapsible Skywatcher is $20 cheaper than the solid tube Orion and it comes with a 9x50 finderscope and two eyepieces.

Indeed overlooked that :smiley: . if buying the skywatcher though the solid tube if you can get it is cheaper than the collapsible equivalent.

Thank you for the tip, yes I intend to travel a lot with it and I own a small car !

I would measure up your car in that case carefully and see. The dimensions can be found here

http://www.skywatcher.com/products.php?cat=6

I cannot fit the tube of a 10 inch solid tube across the backseat of my car, the length should be the same for the 8 inch skywatcher I think but a narrower tube. The flextube can save a lot of space in a small car leaving room for extras since the tube can sit upright as well on the backseat, unless you have a small sports car with really low roof perhaps but you can still rest it horizontally even in small car. I have little Ford KA old nineties model  and the flextube goes easily in it   :smiley:

Indeed overlooked that :smiley: . if buying the skywatcher though the solid tube if you can get it is cheaper than the collapsible equivalent.

I would measure up your car in that case carefully and see. The dimensions can be found here

http://www.skywatcher.com/products.php?cat=6

I cannot fit the tube of a 10 inch solid tube across the backseat of my car, the length should be the same for the 8 inch skywatcher I think but a narrower tube. The flextube can save a lot of space in a small car leaving room for extras since the tube can sit upright as well on the backseat, unless you have a small sports car with really low roof perhaps but you can still rest it horizontally even in small car. I have little Ford KA old nineties model  and the flextube goes easily in it   :smiley:

Yeah, I'll go for the flex one , I like the looks of it better as well. Thank you

Good luck with your purchase :smiley:

There is  a saying  in astronomy when you buy a dobsonian you become part of the Dob Mob or sometimes they call it the Dob squad. I say,when you buy a flextube you become member of a special group the called the Flexdob Mob, and they look the part too with that nice black car paint effect I think :D

Sure , will do.. And again, thanks for everything I feel much better and I'm finally a 100% sure of what I want.

It sounds like you've made the right choice. You can collapse the Skywatcher and put it into your car. It's a nice and friendly f/6 so a lot of cheaper eyepieces will work in it, it'll have much less aberration than an f/4.7 and it won't be as fussy with collimation!

You asked about other eyepieces but the usual recommendation is to use the ones you get with the telescope for a bit and then decide. I think it's good advice. The 10mm and 25mm eyepieces that come with the Skywatcher aren't bad at all so just enjoy them for a bit. The other thing you'll need are a sighting tube/Cheshire and a collimating cap to help with the collimation. If you get stuck with it then ask on here! You might also need a light shroud for the Skywatcher too, but again I've not used one so I don't know how important they are.

Many thanks Wolfpaw, will do exactly that and see what happens and for sure that's not the end of it I'm sure you'll see a lot of me !! Lots of questions. Thank you for your kindness and help

Archived