First attempt at some dodgy star trails.

Tom2012

Good morning everyone.

I had a quick half an hour last night after finishing work before the clouds came in. I tried attempting some star trails but could only use 10 second subs at the most, otherwise the pictures were just red with LP. I also haven't got a cable shutter release so I had to set the self timer for 2 seconds and press the shutter as soon as it opened hah!

I've attached an image, completely unedited. Let me know what you think, it isn't the best.

Thanks, Tom!

It is a good start Tom but I think that the light pollution is going to stop you progressing too much unless you can get to a darker site. You really do need to be able to keep the shutter open for a long period to make this type of image a success. But, on the bright side, you have a made a really good start with this technique and, with a little extra work (and a dark site), there is no reason why you cannot make images that rank with the best. Good luck!

Archived