Jessops TA1100 Telescope

Hi a friend has lent me the above telescope to see how I get on can anyone tell me if it's any good, so far been able to look at the moon but not been able to pick up Jupiter, would this be because of the lens size I'm using

Not sure on the quality of the scope, but you should be able to see Jupiter. How much detail I don't know.

I can even see Jupiter and its four moons with a 10x50 set of binoculars.

The task is finding the object, if you focus on the moon first then it should be just about in focus for Jupiter when you find it.

I have a 130mm mirror so not much bigger and mainly see Jupiter as a white disc with some of the atmosphere showing very faintly.

You may well find that Jupiter appears very small in the EP as it all depends on what the focal length of the scope is and what size EP you are using.

It doesn't matter what size the scope is you should still see Jupiter, the larger the scope the more detail you will see based on how much light the scope captures.

Hi 'Mooneboy' and welcome to SGL.

Astronomy is a fascinating and rewarding hobby. With a little patience you will be able to see the targets that you read and see pictures of.

Anyway, I do not know much about your scope, but will try to assist. Does your scope have a finder or red dot finder? If "Yes!", then is either in alignment with the main scope? If "No!" then this needs to be done. First, during daylight, find an object on your distant horizon ie TV/radio mast, flagpole, chimmey, lighthouse, which you know is say 1mile/2kms from you. Ensuring that your finder or red dot finder aligned to the scope is half of the battle.

What eyepieces came supplied? Most scopes include 10 & 25mm Plossl's as standard equipment. Some are ok. Take your time with these and do not rush into buying more just yet. When you do feel confident, don't rush into purchasing a set of eyepieces, buy them individually. You may find that you need a widefield eyepiece. Alas a set does not offer widefield eyepices. A good place is 'Sky's the Limit' and are well respected here by many members.

Many members also download and recommend 'Stellarium' (it's free!) Also, if don't have one, get a red torch. Even a rear bicycle light will do.

"Practice makes perfect." so people say. You will get there. It just takes a bit of time which is one of the frustrating parts of this wonderful hobby as well as waiting for clear skies and being awake at silly tmes.

I share reservations on probably quality of this, but should get you started (if you decide to buy one I suggest Skywatcher etc). You need to be sure the finder is aligned & always start with lowest power ep (the one with the longest number in mm).

Cheers langy Philip Steve the telescope does have a red dot finder which I have set up during the day and used it when lining up the moon, lens it come with 3 6mm 12.5mm 20mm and a Barlow lens 3x and a moon filter, would you use the moon filter to look at Jupiter or other planets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know the filter can be used for all bright objects to help cut down on the brightness and help to bring out more contrast.

As you may have noticed if you have your dark vision outside and then look at the moon through the scope it can be quite blinding. It's not a problem if you only intend to look at the moon. The longer you look at it the more your eyes settle. Having a filter to start with help to reduce that time.

Jupiter may well be the same. I see this as a small bright disc in my EP. After time you do start to see the atmosphere. The amount of detail you see will depend on how much your scope can pickup. Mine is not great but I'm pleased to be able to see some detail.

It's all about experimentation.

I'm guessing that those were taken through the EP with your mobile. That's a good start, just how most of us get our first images.

Looking at the EP circle you are seeing just over 0.5 degrees FOV which is about the size of the moon.

As you probably found AFocal (through the EP) is quite tricky to get lined up, I failed with three different phones due to the brightness but did get some images with my compact camera.

It is great when you can record something like that to show others for just for personal reference later.

Well Done.

Cheers langy Philip Steve the telescope does have a red dot finder which I have set up during the day and used it when lining up the moon, lens it come with 3 6mm 12.5mm 20mm and a Barlow lens 3x and a moon filter, would you use the moon filter to look at Jupiter or other planetsSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not be inclined to use the moon filter on Jupiter as it is nowhere as bright as the Moon, though you could try it on Venus. As 'langy' says: "It's all about experimentation." That is one of the beauties of this hobby. You cannot do any damage to yourself, except your wallet! That said read everything carefully and as many times possible This is true especially with reference to solar observing.

By the way, nice photos for your first attempt.

Archived