NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A quick session.. the sky seemed extremely clear..

NickK

So I quickly set up the scope, no motors or imaging kit - just the pentax 670mm fl and EPs 32mm (21x), 13mm (51x) and 5mm (132x) along with the televue 5x.. oh and a neodymium filter. Now I don't normally do visual.. the moon was up so it was a opportunity to try out the 5x.

Now looking at the moon - it was clear.. actually very clear. Well I was shocked how clear.. virtually no turbulence. I tried the 13mm, the 5x+13mm and then the 5x+5mm. my understanding is that would be 51x, 255x and then 670x? The 5x+13mm was beautifully clear. It was like flying over the mountain ranges and craters. The moon at 670x was stable although slightly less definition compared to the 255x.

Next up venus. Great bands with the planets standing out brilliantly but couldn't locate once I'd switched to 5x+5mm.

M42 with the 13mm splits the trapezium easily, with a mass of nebula; switching to the 5x+13mm split them wider - and I'm sure that E&F appeared every so often from the growing air churn. M45 with the 13mm appears as a cluster.. before I moved back to the 5x13 and the moon. 

I switched back the 13mm as a growing thin layer of muck was appearing.. but alas the local light pollution was making things hard.. time to come in for a beer.

Archived