Noobie starting out :)

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice.
I've had a little Sky Watcher 60mm telescope for about 3 months now and I've got the bug so want to upgrade to something a bit better. I can spot Jupiter but tbh I can only just make out its spherical shape with no real definition. And to annoy me even further Mars is in full show tonight and it's the same with that :(

I have around £220 to spend.

Anyway, I've done a little research and I've narrowed it doen to 2 options:
1) Sky Watcher 130 with enough left over for a few lenses/filters

2) Sky Watcher 150...which leaves me with nothing lol

I've read that you guys always say go for the widest apperture possible but is there really such a big difference between the 2 in real terms?

All your help is appreciated!

Logan

Hi Logan. Welcome to the forum. I'm new here myself but I lurked around for several months gleaning what info I could before purchasing my scope and one thing came across more than anything else... aperture is everything.

Paul

The 150 will give you bigger views of the planets and more DSO`s to look at 2" makes a hell of a difference, i would get that you will still get amazing views. I had my scope for 6 months before i upgraded any eyepieces so you will have time save up and get used to your scope.

Yes and when you get it at the top of the legs there is a black piece with a screw in undo that and fill the hole with play sand keep tapping the side of the leg to compact the sand put the black piece back in place and screw back up. You can also put a weight on the eyepiece holder this will vastly improve the stability of the mount which will make viewing more enjoyable.

Hi,

The 150p is a great little scope. It was my first and is currently my main scope again after having both a 10" and a 14".  This scope is always the one I got out first as it's small, quick and easy to set up.  I love it.  I use mine on an AZ4 is as AZ style is much friendlier to visual astronomers in my opinion.  This bundle is now available from FLO but it's a bit above your price range at the moment.

Maybe the 150P dobsonian would be good for you.  It is under your budget, probably takes up less room than a mounted 150p as well.  The focal length is longer, which makes it slower and therefore it's not harsh on cheaper eyepieces like a faster scope would be.  This will cost you some field of view but not a great deal and you'll still have plenty of true field potential to show a couple of degrees i'd reckon.  that may be a little over your head when starting out but suffice to say that the scope would perform well :)

If you didn't mind second hand you look out for an 8" dob, a 200p.  This is the most recommended scope and pops up from time to time second hand.  Most 2nd hand equipment in this hobby is as good as new at 60% the price but usually means you have to pick it up yourself.  If you can find one local then you should snap it up :)

I brought the 150p but with the EQ5 Pro mount, the mount is everything. The scope is great and would be a keeper but dare say you will end up replacing the EQ3 mount or at least upgrading it. That's the thing about this hobby, you can keep on upgrading till the cows come home. My 150p now has a replacement TS sighting scope, a red dot sighter, a 10:1 reduction drive on the focuser and a computer linked focus motor. It's just a never ending story. One of these days' the wife is going to clock that it doesn't look the same as what I originally brought :evil:

Archived