Are there any online telescopes available free to us to use

darticus

Are there any online telescopes available free to us to use

Terrible snowy cold North East weather prevents star gazing. Would be nice to use an online telescope to view and take CCD images. Are any available to the hobbyist? Thanks Ron

Not aware of any that are in effect totally free.

Some you can access if in a college or doing a uni course, not sure what you have to prove to get on.

Suspect the problem is that if free no-one would get use for their real purpose, and would you just use a 5 minute period or try for many slots and so push others out.

The "common" one here is Slooh, sure I have read of another, based in Spain I think, but not sure exactly who or the details. Last time I check I could dig out anything.

This was it, I think: http://www.itelescope.net/

Check the front page they have a list of Partners, the one I was thinking of was Astrocamp.

Would guess they all charge but worth looking through for information.

Like you, I have heard that this is so, but numerous web searches didn't come up with anything, I know that such scopes are available for education purposes but whether that is the same for individuals I have no idea so I will follow this thread with great interest. Thanks for posting it.

post-34063-0-07511200-1393260893_thumb.jI just had a quick go with  http://www.itelescope.net/ at work (sneaky sneaky) and you can sign up for a free trial (you dont need to enter any bank details or anything like that) and within a few minutes I was taking a picture using a telescope in Australia!  you can choose from a list of targets and then it takes a picture for you.  I chose M104 and it took this single Image over 400s i think.  I wasnt able to control anything else but i think that may be the limitations of the free trial. 

Archived