NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

signal to noise

I have recently done some exposures that are relatively short in astrophotography terms, when I try to extract detail, I can only get so far before background noise becomes objectionable, I am assuming that is the point where I need to stop and to get more detail out of the target I need to lengthen my exposure times?...can someone confirm my theory please?

Neil.

Are you trying to stack these in a program like Registax or Deep Space Stacker?

Also I know with DSS that it works best with RAW images and you also need to take Dark and Bias images too.

I have recently done some exposures that are relatively short in astrophotography terms, when I try to extract detail, I can only get so far before background noise becomes objectionable, I am assuming that is the point where I need to stop and to get more detail out of the target I need to lengthen my exposure times?...can someone confirm my theory please?

N

Hi Neil,

Ofcourse longer exposure and a large number of subs help to build better SN ratio but you have to  start learning how to stretch by masking the noise out, unless this is done during processing you will always end up with a lot of noise after stretching no matter how strong the S/N ratio is.

A.G

Neil.

Yes, that's basically it. There are ways of optimizing what you have, but more subs and longer subs (skyglow permitting) are the way to beat noise.

Olly

Archived