Complete Beginner - First Project Ideas

DanLXIX

Having decided to get a 'scope recently and being a keen photographer, it was obvious I had to try out some AP. I've just upgraded to a Nikon D7100 and also got a Sigma 120-400mm lens at the same time, to go with my 18-55mm and 55-200 kit lenses, so I thought whilst I was waiting to get the 'scope I would have a go with the D7100.

The only thing I've tried so far was the quick shot of the moon (nicked off my Facebook page and attached) just to try the Sigma lens at 400mm. It was taken before I'd even read a single word on AP, so I know I could do better now, however what I'd like to do is have a crack at some proper shots to begin to get a handle on the techniques and software.

What would be a good first project for the DSLR and what software is a good starting point? I use Lightroom for most of my photo editing, dropping into Photoshop when needed at the moment.

post-35067-0-74596000-1391175903_thumb.j

First project I'd suggest would be to take a whole bunch of images like the one above (or if your camera can do so maybe record a short movie instead and convert it to AVI format).

Then get hold of some free software:

https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/

And one of these:

http://www.astronomie.be/registax/

http://www.autostakkert.com/

(Try both).

You can then stack a whole bunch of the images together and you'll be amazed at how much more detail you will get in your image.  The image above is nice, but it will always be slightly blurry due to seeing (atmospheric turbulence).  By stacking multiple images, you can average out the effect of seeing and get a much crisper image (it's a form of 'lucky imaging', so called since you literally rely on luck to catch the fractions of a second where parts of a given image are not blurred by seeing).

Works great for lunar imaging through scopes and lenses, and planetary imaging through a scope.  Here's a before and after I did with a webcam in 2003, and you'll do even better with a DSLR for the moon:

post-18840-0-11505400-1391177370.jpgpost-18840-0-08484100-1391177378.jpg

(They really are the same images, just the 'after' shot is 40 different images stacked together).

A IanL has mentioned above.

There are some good examples on YouTube especially if you want to do DSO straight from the camera rather than through the telescope.

Lots and lots of pictures, plenty of playing around with software, a few disappointments and you will get a few images you will be really proud of.

Oh and in my case cold feet for standing outside so long taking pictures.

Archived