NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSS frustration!

Hi everyone

I'm pretty novice at stacking/processing etc, so bear with me! :lol:

Last night I was finally able to get some data! I got 72 lights, 25 darks and 25 bias frames of M42, using Canon 550d, Tamron 70-300 at 300mm iso 3200, 1.3 sec (1/4000 for bias)

I can only seem to get anything out of the data if I use jpegs! When I submit the RAW files I have to set the detection threshold to 2%, and use reccomended settings, no drizzle, uncheck lights with score <100, and yet the resulting image shows no detail of M42 whatsoever. It's literally just a black image with stars, no nebulosity at all. I understand that the first image you get needs adjusting, but even after making the required changes to the settings there is nothing, just stars! It's so frustrating!!! :angry4:

For reference this is a cropped image, stacked and processed in PS. (Yeah yeah I know it's not great! :tongue: )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92027968@N06/12101292624/

Has anybody else encountered this?

Ryan

Archived