NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barlow - which one?

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome to the site, loads of useful information out there but I haven't found much obvious relating to this.

I have an 8" Meade LX90 and a Coronado PST.  I am looking to purchase a barlow that will suite both these but am confused as to whether to get a short or standard length one!  Have seen much discussion on cheap vs expensive, is there anything else I should consider?

Cheers,

Alan

Both your scopes are F10,which means the most used EP for them will be around 8mm to 24mm (exit pupil between just under 1mm and over 2mm) in addition to a wide field EP for LX90.

Barlow is used most together with the mid and short focal EPs, in your case, if you have 24mm, 20mm, 18mm 16mm EPs, with a 2x barlow, you'll get 12mm 10mm, 9mm and 8mm when combined with the barlow. It'll meet most of your observation needs.

Archived