NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It's on its way :-)

Ags

Some new kit is headed my way - a SkyWatcher 7Ah power tank - after nearly five years of feeding my NexStar 4SE batteries, for which it has an insatiable appetite. Hopefully the mount will run a bit smoother now it'll be plugged into a massive big battery. Anyway it is my first step to getting an EQ mount - I'll only be powering the mount, er and maybe some dew strips, so i hope 7Ah is enough. I should have got the 17Ah model, but money is tight as always.

While I was shopping around for my power tank, i found a televue product I could afford:

TV_QBT-1006_01.jpg

Same price as everyone else's chinese RDFs, surprise surprise :-)

And... I had a brainwave this weekend, as a result of which i will be able to build a polarscope for my 4SE mount. Up till now my polar alignment has been done by sheer gueswork and feeling the force. With an actual polarscope, by subs might break the 1 minute barrier!

It's arrived! I did not expect the 7Ah skywatcher powerpack to be so small... The instruction manual talks a bit too much about about explosions and electrocution hazards, it seems there are twenty ways to make it explode. Also it seems there is no way to trickle charge.

I tried out my 4SE mount with the new power pack and it seems to run much better, the motors sound like they are getting a lot more juice.

Archived