only stacking one pic in dss

this might be a silly question but Im a noob and I am only messing about with dss to get to grips with it but I only got about six lights of orion and tryied to stack them but always coming back with"only stacking one out of six will be stacked.you should check star detection threshold".i have about 25 stars how many should I be looking for and it also says help dss find a transformation between reference frame and the other,how do I do that

pls pls help

thx peeps

this might be a silly question but Im a noob and I am only messing about with dss to get to grips with it but I only got about six lights of orion and tryied to stack them but always coming back with"only stacking one out of six will be stacked.you should check star detection threshold".i have about 25 stars how many should I be looking for and it also says help dss find a transformation between reference frame and the other,how do I do that

pls pls help

thx peeps

Once  you have opened and checked your files, press to register, in the dialog that opens press the advance tab and alter the star  detection threshold % and press to check, DSS will calculate the number of stars and tries to ignore noise and so on, aim to get about 50 if possible, DSS needs at leat 8 to be able to stack, once done go back and set the % of the frames to stack to 100%. If your stars are round then DSS will accept and stack them, if you have star trails DSS might refuse to stack them can it can not calculate the position of the centroids of the stars for alignment . Welcome to Ap.

A.G

There are few things more frustrating than coming in after hours of fiddling with focus in the dark than to have a piece of software critiquing your images ;)

I have caught myself about to shout "do you know how long it took to get those images! How dare you say they are not good enough" ;)

Of cpurse you will get better results stacking a few good shots than lots of bad ones

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

You want at least 50 stars detected i have found. I usually go with around 60-70. Play with the slider.

No way! DSS only needs 8 common stars to stack correctly. Many more is a waste of time and will not give a more accurate result. My advice is not to stack automatically but register first then compute offsets. You can then see in the file list which images have been correctly matched (they will have X and Y offsets set). You can then work individually on the ones which have failed.

NigelM

Archived