Stacking software

Dave1964

Good morning al,

I am finally getting around to stackimg video footage of the moon and Jupiter, taken from a few weeks back when I had a couple of clear nights. Currently using windows 8.1 and trying out registax. However I am getting errors on the program. The video footage was converted to avi files using a video file conversion program.

My video footage is perfectly aligned with up to 12 minutes to 2 minutes unguided as I was experimenting with the ioptron zeq25gt. Using the 80mm and canon 60d.

Does registax have a large file handling limit on what size video it can use?

Or is registax prone to precessing errors?

Is there more friendly user programs that anyone can recommend for stacking?

Many thanks

Dave

(Waiting for the rain to stop so I can do some popper star gazing)

For video conversion try PIPP, it will convert the video to an AVI file that is in the correct format.  Most of the free video converters will use lossy codecs which are not suitable.

Using PIPP you can also crop the video of Jupiter around Jupiter which reduces the size of the video and puts the planet in the centre of each frame which makes life easier for RegiStax.  But yes, RegiStax can have issues with large videos.

An alternative to RegiStax for stacking is AS!2, much less fussy about the videos you throw at it and produces fantastic results.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Chris

Those file sizes should be fine, it is usually with files over 4 GB that problems start and a lots of people suffer from this.  I still suspect your conversion is the problem, running the video through PIPP will rule this out.

What is the error you are seeing?

Hi cgarry,

Phew I thought I was taking too long videos. I have tried pipp and registax now appears to be happy :)

Although I haven't finished processing the image as of yet.

The errors I was getting from my first attempt after transferring the canon video file to avi file was fatal processing handling at an address I can't recall now or just processing error with the 73 meg file at 67 percent. I have 8meg of ram using an i5 processor so that should be sufficient and happy to run these files.

So now I am assuming file conversion files are perhaps not the best option and to use pipp first then registax?

Dave :)

Hi cgarry,

Phew I thought I was taking too long videos. I have tried pipp and registax now appears to be happy :)

Although I haven't finished processing the image as of yet.

The errors I was getting from my first attempt after transferring the canon video file to avi file was fatal processing handling at an address I can't recall now or just processing error with the 73 meg file at 67 percent. I have 8meg of ram using an i5 processor so that should be sufficient and happy to run these files.

So now I am assuming file conversion files are perhaps not the best option and to use pipp first then registax?

Dave :)

Excellent stuff, getting the tools to accept your files is always the first battle.  Once you have got past that you can work on actually doing the processing.

The video conversion tools are very powerful but not ideally suited to producing AVI files for astro stacking software which require AVI files with raw video.  PIPP is designed for this job so should always produce AVI files of the correct format.  Disclaimer: I wrote PIPP so I would say that!

As well as RegiStax you should also try AS!2 for stacking.

Cheers,

Chris

I have had issues in the past where RegiStax would fail as you describe after a few thousand frames.  This is one of the reasons why PIPP had the quality selection functionality added, to keep the number of frames to be stacked down.

However, I think you will find AS!2 will just work for you which should make life easier.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived