Can you add a goto mount to an Evostar 90?

Well, I've gone ahead and bought an Evostar 90. I had wondered about getting a scope with a goto mount (eg Celestron Nexstar 90) but decided not to as the consensus seem to be that the Evostar had better optics. Is that right? Anyway, I'm now wondering whether I could attach the Evostar OTA to a goto mount such as the Nexstar? Has anyone else tried to do so. Does anyone have any advice?

Also, what other costs effective improvements can I make to the Evostar? What about changing the diagonal mirror?

Thanks, Tarran

The mount would need to be fairly subsantial as the Evo-90 is a fair length.

If Alt/Az then high objects will be out of it, the scope will hit the mount or the legs of the tripod.

It should go on an EQ goto of suitable capacity.

Swapping diagonal is a bit questionable, I would think it is more a case of when wanted then do so but more to be content that the new item is good and therefore to remove/eliminate doubt. They are after all pretty simple.

Biggest "improvement" will be better eyepieces, so I would wait until you get to that stage.

Thanks White Dwarf - it nice to get some feedback.

I hadn't considered tube length and its clearly why I couldn't find anyone else suggesting it. Good point.

When you say "better eyepieces", presumably you mean Plossl? Are there any other recommended types/makes of EPs (must learn to use acronyms! ) - and any to be avoided? Also, what's the difference between Plossl and Super Plossl, apart from cost? Would I see the difference on Evo-90?

Finally, as someone new to astronomy it would seem obvious to invest in a zoom EP rather than a series of different EPs. Is my supposition valid, and if so, what would you suggest (eg Celestron 8-24 EP?)?

Thanks again to you and anyone else who replies,

Tarran

As ronin says its a long tube and an eq mount would be better this is your minimum recommended mount with goto 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-pro-synscan-goto.html

although an eq5 would be better

As to eyepieces its pretty much a rule of thumb that you get what you pay for, but there are a few eyepieces that offer a significant step up in quality from stock eyepieces for a relatively small outlay the bst starguiders from skies the limit on ebay come at around £50 . celestron excel at around £60 are as good but have a wider rangeand next the prices go to around £100 and then onto silly money. Plossls are good but eye relief can be an issue if you wear glasses for viewing cream of the crop are televue at about £100.  I would look at the starguider range from skies the limit

Archived