NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Equatorial platform for different telescopes

royvanrijn

From what I've seen the first step in making an equatorial platform is calculating the Center of Gravity (CoG). Then a cone is calculated and the platform is made to follow this cone-shape (based on your geographic location). This is better than having a platform aligned towards the polar north because that would place the Dobsonian in a very steep/odd angle which stresses the telescope too much. But what if you want to have a platform that works for multiple telescopes?

Based on what I now understand about the theory there are two options, first I could make the platform very large. A small telescope would be placed near the south bearing, a larger telescope would be placed further north. Does this work?

Another option is just to raise the smaller telescope until the CoG is high enough/on the cone polar line. Does this work?

Archived