Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

do i need a go-to mount?

jim247

Hi all,

I am very new to all this but one day would love to try and get some amazing photos like the ones I have seen on here! will I need to have a go-to driven motorised mount thingy-ma-bob, told you I was new :huh:

I have a skywatcher evostar 90 AZ-3, for cost I think I would be interested in trying it through a webcam.

any help and info would be great!

Many thanks!

Jim

For long exposure images on Deep Sky Objects you will need a only a motorized mount but thta mount has to be a Equitoral Mount not a Alt/Az mount. For lunar and planetary images you can use a Alt/Az mount but it will need to be motorized.

You dont need a goto mount to photograph. You can take short exposures without any kind of moving mount. The next step up is an equatorial platform (wedge) to move your alt-az scope at the same rate as the earth turns. The next step up is a motorized equatorial mount. After that only you get a gotomount and the best ofcourse is an autoguiding goto mount which will follow a guide star. 

You need motors on the mount as a minimum. If you are intending to start with the Evo-90 and a webcam then you are looking at imaging planets, you may or may not need something like a 2x or 3x barlow. Simply planets are bright and yoiu can make them bigger to get more detail.

Mount is a nightmare area. Start with a small one sounds good but if it grabs you then you soon want a big one. So shoulf you get the big one anyway ?

An Alt.Az will be OK for planets but for DSO's later you need an equitorial, but then the scope and camera are different for DSO's. Consider the Eq type from the startt to get the idea of using one is a fair option.

Check the Astro Buty Sell UK site. Used mounts come up there when people either give up or go for something bigger.

Archived