NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

darkish skies around ayr?

colesmat

Hi folks, just wondering if anybody knows of any decent dark sites around ayr. Working up here and hoping (fingers crossed) to pop out tonight on the off chance of seeing some aurora. I know galloway dark sky park is only down the road but not brought my scope or binos with me so hoping for somewhere quite closer. I'll be visiting galloway in a few weeks when I dare bring the scope all this way in my van.

Hi, Ayr is a fair sized town and so has alot of lighting to contend with but you can get to Dalmellington and from there up to Loch Doon where the new Dark skies Observatory is.

Heading south towards Alloway and Maybole and looking south you will have far less lighting, Alloway is part of Ayr and Maybole a few miles out.

There is also the Sorn area which is pretty dark.

I'll be heading to loch doon from the north and I would presume that would be the best position to observe from (looking south over the loch). Are there plenty of places ie. Car parks to park up and view from that area?

Archived