Milky Way

Hi, When the sky clears up would I see the milky way this time of year,I know I will have to find a dark area just wondered if it could only be seen certain times of the year. cheers Ian

Find a relatively dark area and let your eyes adjust for 30 minutes. Also slowly move your eyes around the area where you think it is , eyes react to moving things more sensitively than static things. At a really dark place you just need to look up and there it is. 

You can see the Milky Way all year round. You see different sections of it at different times of the year, think of it as being inside a giant hula-hoop. At a dark enough site and with good enough seeing conditions it's bright enough to see straight after going outside, without waiting for your eyes to adjust. I've seen it many times from Cornwall, but never in Hertfordshire where I live.

Archived