NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 1-5-14

Kirscovitch

Still warming up from a session with Jupiter. Temps when I went out were -14F with a real feel temp of -42. In light of the bitter cold it Jup was amazing tonight.

Castillo, Ganymede and Europa all lined up in a straight line with an extra star lined up on one side and Io on the other. Never seen them quite lined up so perfectly.

Needless to say that the cold drove me in after about an hour and a half. Everything was frosting up including my beard. 

Guess that's the closest to seeing the opposition as I'll get but I'll take it! 

I'm a very amateur stargazer, have only used my eyes before so there's  a lot I've never seen but enjoy navigating my way around the sky. Walked out the door this evening, saw it was clear and grabbed the binos I got for Xmas as I knew Jupiter mooching around Gemini and WOW, seeing those moons line up like that compelled me to join this forum and ask if it really was them. Obviously it was. :smiley:

Archived