NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Exceeding the Chandrasekhar limit ? & 'Standard Candles'

Firstly sorry if this topic is already on the forum (I could not find it by searching) but place the link on this thread if anyone finds one please.

Whilst having a read around I came across the 'Champagne Supernova' also known less poetically as SN 2003fg or SNLS-03D3bb.

In 2003 and 4 billion light years from earth this 'type 1a supernova' was unusual in the sense of it exceeding the 1.4 solar Chandrasekar limit by 0.6 solar, apparently detonating at a x 2 solar mass !

It is believed it got to this state by help of a companion star by transferring mass via the roche lobe which is not out of the ordinary but exceeding the 1.4 solar mass is very unusual & therefore rare.  A few theories exist at how it managed to do it and the link is below.

I found this bucking of the trend very interesting !

The wikipedia link on this is below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SN_2003fg

Very interesting read, thank you for posting.

At least the this rare supernova has a distinct signature, so it should not be easily confused with the standard candle supernova.

(Although they don't mention how easy it is to confuse the two, so I suppose somebody will need to review the other standard candles to make sure this has not happened.)

If there has been confusion it could throw out our whole understanding of the size of the Universe!

Archived