Mounts, dovetails, rings, OTAs and compatibility

jnb

I'm trying to work out what mounts are compatible with which dovetails etc.

Looking at the FLO site there seem to be Losmandy, Vixen and Skywatcher style dovetails suggesting that those are three different formats and presumably corresponding mounts. But elsewhere they list skywatcher as being compatible with Vixen which suggests just two formats. I have a Bresser EXOS 1 mount and no idea which format that is. If I buy an EQ5 will the current dovetail on my current scope fit that? Equally I currently have a 90mm refractor if I buy another scope that is just OTA is it conventional for rings and dovetails to be included or does it vary. If it varies then do any sites anywhere tell me what tube diametr and so ring diameter I might need. If I buy a 8" RC presumably it will be more than 200mm in diameter but noone seems to say exactly how big.

All of this is because having got a second hand scope and mount I now want to upgrade in steps getting mount then scope then mount then  ... etc. but I don;t want to be surprised by mount incompatibilities.

Your mount will take a Vixen/Skywatcher dovetail, they are both the same thing.  The Losmandy is wider.  You can get alternative heads from AMD that you can fit to take a Losmandy.

You will get a Vixen/Skywatcher dovetail all the way up to the NEQ6 but that has a new head which will take both.

Archived