NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What kind of name is Sigma CrB A?

Does the designation Sigma CrB A have a name?

Yes it's :- Sigma CrB A  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Too many stars to call them Bob, Mike, Doris, etc.

They don't now name them as the bright ones have been named for a few thousand years, Arabic and Greek mainly, they get a designation instead of a name. Down at Sigma I suspect it was doubtful if during the naming of stars it could be seen by eye. Also being that dim it probably didn't qualify for a name.

Cloudy in London by chance?

Bayer used Greek letters for designations, with added superscripts more or less when he felt like it really. Some superscripts are for doubles, say Theta 1 and Theta 2 Tauri, but others are much further apart, say Pi 1 through Pi 6 Orionis.

If a Bayer designated star is later discovered to be a multiple, A and B letters will be suffixed to the designation, whether it had numbers or no. For example Bayer designated a pair of stars in the M42 Theta 1 and Theta 2 Orionis. Theta 1 is the Trapezium, with A, B, C, and D components.

@ronin: He he, yes it was cloudy last night. But I still wanted to know.

@cantab: Excellent example! I should have thought of the trapezium as it's lovely and I was looking at it on Monday. Very nice.

It gets more complicated. I looked up Theta 1 Ori and found that even Theta 1 Ori A is multiple. The components are A1, A2 and A3. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theta_Orionis). Who wants life to be simple eh?

And before you ask - it's still cloudy here.

Archived