NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cooling Food

Ok, I know this hasn't got anything to do with astronomy, but it involves thermodynamics. I've read somewhere that a good way to cool food when you're out in the wilderness on a hot summer day is to bury it underground (about 20-30cm under). Now this part I understand but the following dumbfounds me. On the ground above the food, light a small fire which will augment the effects of cooling. Does anybody know why this is? What role does the fire play in all this?

Maybe the idea is that the fire will cause convection, i.e. a draft, though in that case you'd want the fire not to be directly above the food, but some distance away. To be honest it sounds like **** to me. A better way would to wrap the food in damp cloth.

Edit: found this link

http://www.waysofthewildinstitute.com/2010/03/wilderness-food-preservation/

The fire is to make the ground dry where you dig your hole, so that the food will keep longer.

When cycle touring ( a fridgeless condition ) I used evaporation. The food - and any white wine  :grin:  - was piled up and surrounded by the panniers for insulation, then we'd soak a towel or some dirty T shirts and plie them on top. This was remarkably effective even in such insanely hot places as Andalucia or the Central Valley in California.

What about the claim that warm water placed outside freezes faster than an equivalent volume of cold? I don't believe that, either. But then again, who'd believe Quantum Theory?

Olly

I used evaporation. The food 

then we'd soak a towel

This was remarkably effective e

Yes, sadly I am of an age to remember Grandma doing exactly that with a clay pot (crock ?) containing water and her milk bottles covered with a cloth dangling in the water, in the shade 'out back'

Later we got fridges !

>> "warm water placed outside freezes faster"

chestnuts :)

>> "who'd believe Quantum Theory?"

Belief, ah that's a whole different world ;)

Anyone who claims to understand Quantum Mechanics probably doesnt

Who said that ?

I'm getting (like last night) a whole load of " 503 Service Unaavailable"s

Archived