Skywatcher Evostar 90 (EQ-2)???

Decent start for a first scope, the 90mm aperture will get planets and clusters fairly well, good for splitting doubles as well, bit limited for some nebula and faint DSO's.

Suspect the EQ2 is too light for the scope, EQ3-2 would be better, also has better expansion as dual motors can be fitted.

It is an achro, so expect a little CA on brighter objects (Jupiter, Saturn, Moon), Bit too slow for imaging, and would need motors to image Jupiter/Saturn via a webcam.

An 8mm eyepiece should show Saturn and therefore Jupiter well, a 12mm should show Jupiter well but Saturn will be a little small. At f/10 (ish) a plossl should be trouble free, the BST Skyguiders even better. Probably looking at a sensible maximum magnification of 150x, so if you ever think of a 5mm it may actually get little use.

Scope falls into the arena of "Jack of all trades, master of none". It will do most things well, it is not colour free as a triplet apo, nor collects light like a 12" newtonian. Generally you hear no complaints about the Evostar 90. Seems to be a good solid scope to get going with.

This was my first scope and cant fault it. For the price its hard to beat. Mate got a celestron 4" reflector for about the same price and the skywatcher easily out performed it on any object. Seven sisters, double cluster, beehive very good with a 40mm plossl.

Suspect the EQ2 is too light for the scope, EQ3-2 would be better, also has better expansion as dual motors can be fitted.

The 90/900 was also my first Telescope. Do absolutely agree with ronin...EQ2 is not stable enough, telescope was swinging too much on the lightest touch or even a breeze.

Did you consider a dobson yet? That was my next step after the 90/900 and I do love it. DSOs, planets and tonight the moon again. I do have the Skywatcher 200/1200 dobson.

Archived