NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

(Un)Acceptable deviation of stated(marketed) f/l vs real f/l for imaging scopes

All,

Take a look at this image run through an online astronometry app:

http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/92471#annotated

This was taken with an Atik 314L+, which has a pixel size of 6.45 um. Based on this, we can calculate the focal length of the optics used to take the picture:

arcsec / pixel = 206.3 * ( pixel size [um] / focal length [mm] ) 

Doing this I get that the focal length of the optics is 543 mm. Now, in my scope specs, it is stated that it should have a f/l of 478 mm...quite different, and in my opinion, not really acceptable. For imaging, it will be f/5.9 vs f/6.7.

Can I have done something wrong here? Would be nice to have some opinions on potential mistakes. But I know others have come to similar results with the same scope and different sensors. I have sent this to the manufacturer, asking if they agree, and if there's been a mistake in the marketing, but no reply...

Anyone have similar experience?

Alter the size of the sample from the image the app uses and see how much that alters the calculated focal length. I suspect changing the sample area by a small amount, massively alters the calculated focal length.

James

Could it be that although the pixels are the stated size, they have gaps between them and so the effective size of the pixels is larger than specified?

Edit: that would increase the calculated F/L anyway  :BangHead:  :coffee:

2 thoughts come to mind:
1: Where does the subtended angle come from? The image you link to of NGC5194 had a bit of it outside the big green circle. So I would suspect that 5 different reference for NGC5194 will give you 5 different sizes.

As an example Wikipedia seems to say 11.2 arc min, SEDS says 11.7 arc mins, so SEDS is 4,4% bigger then Wiki in one go.

2: What is pixel size? Distance between the centres of the pixels or the length of a side of the active sensory area, there will be a seperation band between one pixel and the next on all sides so the above values will differ.

So we could question both the size of a pixel and the size of the object.

Which scope are you refering to?
Sounds like imaging and that makes me think it is the GTF-81.

WO say the focal length of this is 535mm and if you are getting 543mm then with the inaccuracies of object size and pixel size I would say the GTF is exactly what it is claiming to be.

http://www.williamoptics.com/telescopes/gtf81_spec.php

The GT-81 is specified at 478mm but that is not the GTF-81 which is what your signature says you have.

Thanks for your answers people! Might be some gap between the pixels, I don't know, but several people have gotten similar results that I have with different cameras.

Ronin,

WOW, WO has changed the spec on the page, it was listed as f/5.9 before! Dealers still list it as f/5.9:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1323_William-GTF81-5-Element-Flatfield-APO---81mm-f-5-9---FPL-53.html

I suspect that the lens focal length is 478mm the same as the GT-81, but the inclusion of the flattener extends this to 535mm.

The flattener must have some effect and WO will not have made a new lens.

Would say you have a 478mm focal length objective that is extended to 535mm with the inbuilt flattener. Optically the flattener will be negative and that will extend the focal length. So I think you have you have a 478mm focal length objective that when used in conjuction with the field flattener is operating as a 535mm focal length optical scope.

Archived