SW 130P Focuser Upgrade

I have been making good progress with my 130P, now able to find most things pretty quickly and without too much frustration. However one thing that is driving me to distraction is the total inability to get decent focus. It seems that even the slightest movement of the focus adjustment will cause a huge difference in what I am seeing. 

Take Jupiter for example. I can find it (no prizes for that) and with a 25mm eyepiece I can clearly make out its shape and some of its moons, but if I want to see its bands or even attempt to see the red spot in goes my 10mm eyepiece and now focussing is very hot and miss. Sometimes I can get good focus while my had is on the control but the action of taking my fingers off it causes it to go out of focus. Also simply touching the focus wheel causes the object to move up/down in the eyepiece .  . .  . :mad:

So my questions,

1. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong ?

2. Is there a way to fix thins ?

3. Would one of the hight/low speed focusers help (hopefully my default 130P fucuser would be considered High Speed)

4. Does somebody produce a better focuser for the 130P (I note that most of the ones I have seen are for 150mm tubes)

5. And finally, how dificult is it to remove my existing focuser and replace it with a new one)

My longer term aim is to get a 200 or 250PDS, which I hope will come with a better focussing system.

Thanks in advance

I use your scopes bigger brother on an EQ3-2 mount and found it really difficult to focus as the image was jumping all over the place.

My solution was to fit one of these:- http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-auto-focuser_d1434.html made it so much easier.

You would need to check with the supplier to see if this would be appropriate for your scope.

I would suggest stripping and regreasing the focuser assembly first because it will cost very little. Maybe with a little of that double sided sticky pad stuff with one side still covered. There are some tutorials, possibly Google astrobaby focuser or similar. This might help a little but I would definitely recommend the skywatcher motorised focuser. You will likely still get a bit of image shift bit it should be more steady with less vibration. I don't think there are any compatible Focuser upgrades for this diameter tube. I could never find one! Tbh, a new Focuser would cost at least £130 to £150 which is well on the way to the 200p ota if you know for a fact it has a better focuser.

I used to have the 130 and although the motor focuser is not officially compatible with the 130 it can be made to fit by drilling a couple of new holes. I believe the newer ones come with 2 brackets to fit a wider range of scopes. Check with FLO maybe, sure they will advise.

Oh, and yes - some wobble is inevitable when focusing by hand.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Archived