NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focuser / goto software conflict?

Gillydior

Hiya I'm wondering if anyone can help, I have just bought a JMI Focuser and a HitecAstro DC Focuser, both work fine when used as standalone units. The HitecAstro DC Focus Controller will operate correctly from the PC but as soon as the USB is connected the telescope goto software and my other Ascom driven software crashes when I plug the DC Focus Controller into the computer’s USB. I wonder if you’ve heard of this problem before and can offer any solutions.

Thanks, Gillian.

I'm running

Windows 7

Ascom Explorer 6 & Hitec DC focuser software

NexRemote / Starry night

Celestron NexStar 8SE 

Thanks to everyone who's scratched their head trying to think of a solution - or even what the hell I'm talking about! I've now sorted out the conflict thanks to another post I found here (what a great place (thank you)) it turned out that i'd changed the USB ports for each bit of hardware creating a huge inventory of drivers for each - I'm sorry I can't find the link again but it said;

"HI thought I would post this as it may be useful to anyone having com port problems as if you are unplugging and replugging devices into different usb slots, then each time a new higher numbered com port is likely to be allocated leaving phantom com ports behind.
So to clear old com ports for windows 7, as windows xp method wont do it on 7.

To permanentely display the phantom devices in device manager first right click computer>properties>advanced system settings>advanced tab>environmental variables at the bottom. Click new and put in variable name box the following devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices then put 1 in the variable value box then ok and out.now click start right click computer>properties>device manager>view>show hidden devices then find com ports right click on each of these and uninstall restart computer and that should sort it.  " so thank you - hope it will also help others - Gilly x

Archived