NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First telescope - Second Chance!

So i have to return my Astromaster 130EQ MD as the altitude bolt is stuck solid! First class service from Amazon, it is scheduled for collection and the refund is being processed.

Even after researching for hours on end i still wonder if i bought the right scope. I wanted the MD to track but found that all i was doing initially was learning the sky and targeting objects that are "easier" to find. The MD was not used at all, i got this incase i wanted to get into astrophotography at a later date as i have a nice digital camera already.

So my question is this buy the same again less the MD and upgrade EP's or get something like the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P. I think i will be learning the sky for a while and theres so much to target and find before i try imaging. Are the Dobs better quality? I enjoy the searching of the sky and do not mind bumping the scope along throughout the night.

So on a budget of £200 - £250 top end what would you recommend if you had your time again knowing all you do now?

As always any help is greatly appreciated!

Absolutely. I would choose a dob for visual if you are absolutely firm on budget then the 150 is the best scope around if you could stretch a bit more than the 200p is the best http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

imo the only reason to get an eq mount is for imaging and the eq mount supplied with the astromaster isn't up to that.

I'd definitely recomend getting a 200p over a 150p dob as the aperture is significantly greater however if the budget only goes as far as 150p skyliner then it's still a wonderful scope. 

The focal length of a 150p is a little long and therefore will limit the maximum true field of view available.  Personally I use a much shorter version of the 150p, the explorer, however this only comes on an EQ mount tripod if bought through retailers.  I believe the explroer 150p on an AZ4 is a fantastic combination and if you can purchase the OTA and tripod seperately you will have a wonderful setup.  I use this setup as much or more than my 14".

Thanks for your input guys

I think i may just plump for the 200 then, is the increase form the 150 significant? Will this get me deeper into space enabling me to see much more with better views? I am first wanting to see hercules cluster Andromeda etc.

I would also like to see the planets, will this manage that too?

Thanks guys

Thanks for your input guys

I think i may just plump for the 200 then, is the increase form the 150 significant? Will this get me deeper into space enabling me to see much more with better views? I am first wanting to see hercules cluster Andromeda etc.

I would also like to see the planets, will this manage that too?

Thanks guys

yes it will get you further into space. the views will not be like the photo's but it will be a noticeable difference to the astromaster

Archived